Skip to main content
4:00 pm
personhood away will their free speech rights still attach? so the biggest question on everything's mind is what happened in the court? or did the judge decide? >> he decided. he said this is nonsense the legislative intent was not to get people into the car pool lane. so it's common sense a pile of papers cannot signify -- >> jennifer: so are you going to appeal? >> we're going to appeal. and he walked right into what we thought he would said which he basically said incorporation papers are not a person -- they don't signify the corporation, so he throws up the question of what exactly is a corporation. >> jennifer: how does the
4:01 pm
corporation manifest itself? >> exactly. >> jennifer: thank you so much for coming in to tell the story. >> thank you. >> jennifer: jonathan frieman inside "the war room." >> thank you. >> jennifer: all right. everybody you all have a great night. we'll see you back here tomorrow. ♪ [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] welcome to "the young turks." we've got an awesome show for you tonight. don't we every night. gun control advocates, including sun whosomeone who is going to be on the show, colin goddard. >> we're determined to take action. this is not an exercise in photo opportunity. >> stop and frisk in new york. a judge said, you know, a little unconstitutional because of moments like this.
4:02 pm
>> cenk: the amount of time they have stop and frisk minorities is insane. and speaking of insane, the subsidiary of halliburton poison our troops. that is not theoretical they won. they poisoned our troops. now they want us to pay for it. >> kbr workers wearing white chemical suits. >> they were in full protective chemical gear from head to toe. i looked at one of my men and said this can't be good, can it. >> they want the tax payers to pay for it. unbelievable. it's go time. >> now vice president biden is
4:03 pm
meeting with both both sides. tomorrow he'll be meeting with the nra walmart which sells a lot of guns, so he'll meet with both sides. he comes out pretty strong. before we get to all that i want to remind you of something. something that we need to emphasize every single time. since the newtown massacre, which has not been that long, do you know there have been 643 people killed by gun violence in this country. so we had 20 kids killed that day. 27 people over all but since then 643 and the body count mounts everything single day. let's bring in michael shure to tell us about that biden meeting. >> it's important that we mind people watching "the young turks"," we need to remind people between tragedies and vice
4:04 pm
president biden coming out of that meeting talking about the urgency with which the president and white house plan on acting on guns. >> so we're here today to deal with a problem that requires immediate action, urgent action, and the president and i are determined to take action. this is not an exercise of photo opportunities. i want to make it clear that we are not going to get caught up in the notion unless we can do everything that we're going to do nothing. it's critically important that we act. >> cenk: i'm encouraged by this. the president has not acted very strongly in the first term. but all of a sudden biden who shepherded the assault weapons ban when clinton was president seems like he might take serious action. >> i think we're seeing, this playing political skepticism, but we're seeing a joe biden with his eyes on a different
4:05 pm
prize. >> cenk: i hadn't thought of that, that maybe he's going to run for president and he has to make sure he gets things done. >> we saw him with the fiscal cliff and his action helped pass that legislation. he was given the lead by his president, and it's important. he's also somebody with assaults weapons ban, he's been there before, it's something that he has cared about for a long time. and it resonates with dan gross. here is dan gross outside of the white house after the meeting. >> we just came out of what we thought was a very productive and actually inspiring meeting with the vice president and attorney general holter. >> cenk: that's the good news. mitch mcconnell when asked about gun control. he had this answer. >> we'll decide what, if anything, is appropriate to do in this area. but the biggest problem we have
4:06 pm
at the moment is spending and debt. that will dominate the congress between now and the end of march. none of these issues i think will have the priority that spending and debt are going to have over the next two or three months. >> you're not going to address this until after you addressed the three deadlines we talked about at the top of the program. >> the biggest issue confronting the country is spending and debt debt. >> he went into that thing. now the bad news, mitch mcconnell. how many times does the name mitch mcconnell come after the words "after the bad news." they say spending and debt is more important than gun violence. and now some advocates are behind gun appreciation day. insanity behind insanity. now we have colin goddard and
4:07 pm
also a virginia tech survivor. colin, great to have you back on the program. >> thank you for having me. >> cenk: now i know you were part of the meeting today in vice president biden and you care deeply about this issue. were you encouraged? how did it go. >> it was awesome. i had to pinch myself with the attorney general next to me and vice president joe biden next to him. it was surreal. to see the seriousness and see how well he has thought about this issue and to see the comprehensive approach they're taking is encouraging. he said this is the first meeting of many. this is not the end and we can sit back now. this is when the work starts. he acknowledged that our job is really to bridge that disconnect between what the average american wants when it comes to comprehensive common sense gun laws and the disconnect with the
4:08 pm
elected officials who aren't doing that right now. that's really how we're moving forward with this thing. >> cenk: so were specific proposals discussed and if so, what were they? >> there were a punch of specific proposals not just legislative proposal but executive decisions that can be made, as well as trying to change the culture and behavior of gun violence in america. he likened it to automobile accidents and drinking and driving over decades of regulatory policies and changing the culture of drinking and driving and wearing seat belts we have reduced accidents and deaths. he wants to bring that understanding and approach to the gun advo advocacy. background checks and limiting magazines, we've heard that, so to have that to go with it is great.
4:09 pm
>> you'll occupy that seat tomorrow i presume are going to be people from the rifle association and differing opinions to gun control than you. how do you feel about the fact that they're going to be hearing from them as well and maybe even getting the last word from them tomorrow. >> i think they're ready to listen. they want everyone to come to the table, which i think makes sense. if the nra speaks on behalf of their membership tomorrow, then we're on the same page. the vast majority of their members support background checks and gun sales. the solutions we're talking about is not going to eliminate the second amendment from everyone but will eliminate guns in the hand of shouldn't have them in the first place. >> what could the president do through an executive order without going to congress? >> there are a number of things,
4:10 pm
there is the appropriations of money, imports of different types of guns. i'm not sure of the specifics. he didn't delve too far into them, but he said that the president is wanting to do everything that he possibly can. including the decisions he can make himself and packages he can send to progress. >> cenk: on the things that we care most about banning assault weapons, limiting the number of bullets in a magazine. we had congressman steve cohen on the program yesterday and he thinks the republicans just aren't going to introduce it in the house. so did you get a sense talking to the players at the white house how hard they're going to push, and what the chance of succeeding are? >> like he said, this is not a short-term thing. this is a long haul we're in for. even from day one after the shooting in newtown
4:11 pm
connecticut, we have to change our understanding of how to deal with these things. instead of going to capitol hill and lobbying, we've been going to people saying they're the missing piece in gun violence. it's the sustained engagement that has not been there for a number of years that needs to be there in order for elected officials from both parties to step forward. because of what we've seen already it's been a month since the shooting in connecticut our phones have been hanging off the hook activists are coming to us every day marchs planned across the country that is allowing senator casey senator warner to step up and say things we never heard before. americans are playing the most vital role in this, so let's keep this up. it no longer is a matter of if we can, it's a matter of when.
4:12 pm
>> i assume coming out that have meeting you felt that the when is coming now. have you at the brady center or any of the gun control advocates have any conversations one-on-one with the nra as a way of making progress without the white house, for example? >> we've had a lot of conversations with nra members who reached out to us after hearing the very tone-deaf press conference from wayne la pierre saying he doesn't. [ speaking in a foreign language doesn'tspeak-- he doesn't speak for me. we've been hearing from individual gun owners and nra members themselves saying we support you we're with you.
4:13 pm
we'll keep spinning a positive message that we're better than this. we don't have to accept this. the solution to violence is not more violence. it's the engagement of the american people, i cannot stress this enough that will get us over the finish line. it needs to be followed up by a ground swell of people from coast to coast. >> cenk: thank you so much for joining us on "the young turks" again. >> thanks for having me. >> cenk: when we come back, the record temperatures in australia are so out of control so hot that they had to actually add an extra notch to their temperature recording. it's unbelievable how bad it is. we'll talk about that when we come back. >> look at that. treading in water up to their chins for three hours. >> we saw tornadoes and fire coming towards us and
4:14 pm
everything was on fire. guys that do reverse mortgage commercials? those types are coming on to me all the time now. (vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. you would rather deal with ahmadinejad than me. >>absolutely. >> and so would mitt romney. (vo) she's joy behar. >>and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking?
4:15 pm
4:16 pm
i want the people who watch our show, to be able to come away armed with the facts, and the arguments to feel confident in their positions. i want them to have the data and i want them to have the passion. but it's also about telling them, you're put on this planet for something more. i want this show to have an impact beyond just informing. an impact that gets people to take action themselves. as a human being, that's really
4:17 pm
important. this is not just a spectator sport. >> cenk: we've been telling you about climate change throughout the world, and we told you about record-hot temperatures in the united states. but if you think we have it hot here, wait until you get a load of australia. they had to change their weather recordings to add two new colors. why did they have to do in a? the record temperatures are off the charts. next week they'll hit 123 degrees. 123 degrees. there's wall of fire. >> the conditions are so hot that it's really amplifying wildfires in australia. in fact, about 100 homes have been destroyed and we have a
4:18 pm
report on grandparents and grandchildren that went through a near-death experience. let's take a look. >> take a look at this terrifying scene this australia. a family, including five children, had to race into the water and cling to a dock for hours to escape this massive wildfire that tore through their neighborhood, trapped by a wall of flames. they treaded in water up to their chins for three hours. >> we saw tornadoes and fire just coming across towards us and the next thing we knew everything was on fire. >> the grandfather eventually found a small boat. thanks to him everyone made it okay. record heat with wildfires across the country. they hope it subsides today. wildfires in that country no more destruction. >> it's interesting to see the impact throughout the globe. but of course things in the united states things were not better. in 2012 we hit a tipping point.
4:19 pm
we had the highest temperature on record, 55.3 degrees fahrenheit on average in 2012. and of course even though we have all of this evidence indicateing that climate change real, shell completed it's exploratory season of drilling in the north arctic ocean. of course as they were exploring in the north arctic there were many accidents that took place. let me tell but a few of them. in july, an incident that would foreshadow future problems. they lost the dig coverer rig and came close to running aground in dutch harbor. and then in september just one day after it's long awaited preparatory drilling operations, there is was an ice pack threatening the site. in december a containment test failed and it crushed like a
4:20 pm
beer can, and in december an oil rig runs aground. we're seeing all these problems happening, and it seems like our politicians brush it under the rug, they don't hold these companies accountable for what is happening. let's take a look at a gma report talking about a grounding grounding. >> keeping the coast guard from getting to a rig that broke off alaska. the crew was evacuat, but it was carrying 150,000 gallons of diesel fuel. so far there is no sign of a spill. >> cenk: they may have been rushing that job to avoid some taxes because of the end of the year. and they rushed right into the ground, and now people are so mad even the interior department might do something that's amazing. here is a quote. officials said the new acement
4:21 pm
by federal regulators could halt or scale back shell's program to open alaska as arctic exploration. i'll believe it when i see it. but the government, who approves all these projects, even they are concerned. we're not ready for the arctic drilling. and if we do the arctic drilling we'll have less arctic. when is it enough. >> things are so bad as we talked about it on the online show, we have clouds that mitigate the impact of climate change. some scientists have given up on the notion of holding these oil companies, coal companies accountable for what is going on. >> cenk: thank you ana. let's go to dan from angry anchorage alaska. this sounds pretty bad. do you think they might stop
4:22 pm
some of this drilling? >> we're glad they're calling for a time out to do this review and look at whether the season of mishaps from shell is proving the fact that supposedly drilling in the arctic can be done safely. i re evidence you need from what was supposed to be the best of the best operations according to both shell and the obama administration, and it turned out to be no match for the arctic. one of my colleagues put it quite well earlier today when he was talking about this can't be another paper exercise. they have to really dig into what happened here, and the secretary salazar said he didn't want to pre-suppose any inclusionsconclusions but it's hard to cool to any conclusion but that shell screwed up, and the arctic is no match for the technology they'll put up there.
4:23 pm
>> cenk: the arctic sounds like to "the young turks" too strong. i'm skeptical about the administration because i've seen when they've reallowed drilling in the gulf coast. well, the safety precautions you know, it's a work in progress. that makes me really concerned. is my concern about the obama administration in this realm justified or not justified. >> totally justified. shell has a lot of egg on their face right now. but the fact of the matter is the obama administration pretty much okayed this operation. you look at what shell is trying to do. the whole process is a drilling incident and the obama administration has just as much responsibility as shell does because they approved all this. now the president and secretary salazar has an opportunity to change course and do a very rigorous assessment of what went wrong and how the technology
4:24 pm
again just cannot keep up with the arctic. we'll see if they do that. but the skepticism is well placed. >> cenk: and what is your sense of it? do you think we can do safe drilling in the arctic? and is there a scenario where you say, i think we can figure this out have at it, hoss. >> no, you pointed this out in the previous segment, climate change. the irony of being able to drill for more and more fossil fuel in an extreme place like the arctic ocean or the deep waters of the gulf of mexico. when you're looking at the arctic, it's becoming more open because of climate change. so even if they could insure safety and there was never going to be an oil spill which shell has admitted there will be a spill, it doesn't matter because you have pollution and you have climate change pollution happening which is changing alaska. it's changing the gulf of
4:25 pm
mexico, it's changing australia it's changing weather all over the place as we've seen in very recent months. it's not good for the earth. it's not good for everybody who lives here. >> cenk: i think you're sweating it. what are a couple of fires. thanks for coming in. >> thanks. >> cenk: the stop of the stop and frisk.: >> what are you touch meg for? >> he's oh holding me, going through my pockets, going up and down and going through my sweater. that's when he said to put my hand on my head. >> i'm a slutty bob hope. >> you are. >> the troops love me. the sweatshirt is nice and all but i could use a golden lasso.
4:26 pm
(vo) only on current tv.
4:27 pm
cook what you love and save your money. joe doesn't know it yet, but he'll work his way up from busser to waiter to chef before opening a restaurant specializing in fish and game from the great northwest. he'll start investing early, he'll find some good people to help guide him, and he'll set money aside from his first day of work to his last, which isn't rocket science. it's just common sense.
4:28 pm
from td ameritrade. >> cenk: so we've been telling you about this stop and frisk program in new york city. it's outrageous because they go into private buildings--the police get permission from the landlords, whether the landlords want to give permission, that's a different question. but they go in and without reasonable suspicion they stop people all the time and frisk them to see if they can find something on them. but finally a judge in manhattan federal court said this is kind of unconstitutional, quote while it may be difficult to say when precisely to draw the line between constitutional and unconstitutional police encounterers such a line exists. and nypd has systematically crossed it when making trespass stops outside buildings. now to give a sense of why she ruled that way well, there was
4:29 pm
an enormous number of stop and frisks in 2011, 685,000 of them. my favorite number is that 88% of the people who were stopped and frisked were totally innocent. it doesn't appear that they're hitting the right target quite often. i wonder if they're using a different criteria than suspicion. perhaps race? let's take a look at the in the. of the people stopped 53% were african-american. now is new york city 53% african-american? no it's 25% plaque. look at that, 9% of the people stopped from white new york city is 44% white. so when you do some quick math there you realize blacks and latinos, they are a little over the 50% of the population of new york city. look at that, when you add up the numbers they're 87% of the
4:30 pm
people stopped and frisked. i'm sure it's a wild county county coincidence. when you watch this documentary you may release realize it's not quite a coincidence. >> i had the captain come in and talk about has harassing the public. >> i they just popped out they jumped out of the car. i was going to stop, and i didn't have enough evidence of a cop harassing me. >> oh, you again. >> i was just stopped two blocks ago. >> people don't like police because of the harassment. what civilians don't under the police department is forcing us to do these unreasonable stops
4:31 pm
or you are going to be penalized. >> cenk: now we have joining us the person who put this documentary together, ross tuttle and our own tricia rose from brown university. ross, let me start with you. they say we're protecting the poor and minority doing the stop and frisk in the poor and minor areas. the people you talked to, did they have that feeling. >> thank you for having me on the show. and to correct those online. it's "the hunted and the hated." we spoke to people who were victims of these stops and we spoke to people being asked to conduct the stops. the officers who are being asked to conduct the stops, they know they're being asked to violate people's rights, as you heard in the clip. and certainly that's what people feel on the receiving end that
4:32 pm
their rights are being violated. these stops are resulting from little more than how someone plight look, how they might dress, how they might behave, movement, that sort of thing cited in the opinion by the judge and the ruling. but what is happening these officers are conducting these stops largely because they're being told to do so by their commanding officers because of quotas. they're being asked to do a certain number of stops. when you do a someone number of stops, how do you do that? you might be looking for them. you might be looking for reasonable suspicion. but if you're not encountering it and if it's held over your head that you you're not doing a certain number of stops you'll have to make those stops. they're stopping people like this main plaintiff who is going out and coming home with a bottle of ketchup for dinner. >> i checked our notes to see it
4:33 pm
was me or the produceer it was me. i read it wrong. >> don't worry about it. i won't hold it against you. >> thank you. professor rose why are they doing this. it's a tough argument to buy into, so why are they doing it? >> there has been systemic mistreatment against poor black and latino since there have been poor blacks and latinos in cities in the united states. this is not an exception. the most important thing about this wonderful documentary about the exposure of stop and frisk in new york this isn't the one
4:34 pm
bad apple theory. it's not even the one bad tree. the whole farm is quite poisoned. and this is a very big issue. in fact, i think you could have called it a haunted. the young people who have to grapple with the threats of violence, the documentary is very poignant on this, the emotional toll it seems to me that we're dealing with a haunted generation. >> cenk: i get the sense that we step back from the nypd. it's not like they were always lovely and handing out flowers but it seemed after 911 they got used to violating people's rights it became a matter of fact. and then it spread to we'll do whatever we want to muslims in new york city we'll step it up
4:35 pm
a notch. professor rose, are you not buying that? >> there has been an expansion of violation of all citizens' rights. but the problem is this very same type of pattern precedes 911 in black and brown and especially in working class of poor. their voices are not heard. people have been protesting and asking for civilian review boards and revision of police practices to work with the community, not to criminalize everybody's children, and these have largely gone unheeded. there is no question that there has been a general expansion since 911 in unconstitutional activity. >> cenk: ross, is it? are they just racists ray kelly, etc. or do they think obviously blacks and latinos are the criticals criminals we should stop them more often. why do they do it? >> a lot of it has to do with
4:36 pm
political clout, but i would also say that the systems that are in place the systems in place at north dakota, nypd, and they're out of whack. they say they're stepping it up, but i call it laziness. they're going after people who aren't--who are marginalized, who can't raise a fuss. you're coming into our community to do what? they don't have the power to do that. but the way they incentivize promotions and people rising in the ranks, they're being lazy. they want to show productivity, numbers, they want to show arrests and they want to meet those quotas. they want to go and say we've done this, we've reduced crime by any means possible whether they manipulate statistics or they're actually doing it, but they need to show that they're active. that their officers aren't sitting around, driving around in cars, i don't want to
4:37 pm
discredit community policing, but they're told to get numbers because the officers are feeling it's held over their heads. >> cenk: that's an excellent point. racism alone doesn't explain it. they got to show numbers and it's a lazy way to do it, and the key to is what just ross just said. you go to people you can push around. >> cenk: sorry cenk, you know i love you more than coffee, which is saying a lot. >> cenk: wow. >> but if this--this is not--you cannot untether these things. the reason that they can even construct a program like this to respond to the idea of solving crime is because they are playing into and reinforcing the criminalization of young people of color which precedes and shapes the idea of crime. you cannot separate them out and say, hey we need numbers who
4:38 pm
are vulnerable. these respect the only vulnerable communities but they are the ones who are consistently targeted. it's not that racism is separate. they're tethered. >> cenk: for the record, i'm not untethering. i continue to tether. we're out of time. >> true. >> cenk: we're out of time unfortunately, ross, tricia, thank you so much. terrific conversation. when we come back, kvr they just happened to poison our troops. then after that after in court they were proven guilty they said we have a great idea, why don't you pay for it. the taxpayers have to foot the bill for it. we'll talk to the lawyer who went after them when we come back. >> you could taste the air. >> robert and others say the dust was throughout the plant and the ground and permeated the air during sandstorms.
4:39 pm
4:40 pm
4:41 pm
4:42 pm
>> cenk: you know how las vegas is a destination for quick marriages. well, for divorces we didn't have such a destination. it could take a long time to get a divorce, but no longer, here comes texas. a law firm has decide to do a divorce resort. >> the couple choices a luxurious location. >> they never really have to see each other. >> husbands and wives stay in separate rooms. they hold private meetings for two days. on day three they leave with a legally binding document. >> charging each person a flat fee, $7,500 and that includes a hotel and everything. >> cenk: that is an interesting idea. that would be new to the u.s. but netherlands have a divorce hotel, and holland has heartbreak hotel. and caribbean we have oasis of
4:43 pm
the seas facilities for kids. so while you're getting a quick divorce the kids can play with mickey mouse. the u.s. divorce rate in america is sky high. 50% for first marriages. second marriages 60% to 67% and third marriage, you have learned nothing you should give up, 74% to 74%. and divorces cost between $15,000 and $20,000, which is a huge sum of money. wyman and associates is doing the hotel. can you really do it in three days? that seems awfully quick for a divorce. >> well, we have a lot of prep work we have to do ahead of time. we'll gather all the information, do appraisals on property business valuations, and make sure we have all the information we need gathered and compiled and we bring that with us to the three-day weekend so we can complete the whole thing
4:44 pm
within the three days. >> cenk: what if you can't get them to agree in three days? >> that's the difference between this idea and some of the others that you mentioned. so the first two days we mediate. i go back and forth. i get to know both parties. i hear all of their issues, and we settle as much as we can. at the end of the two days if there are some pieces they're hung up on, can't settle, they agree in advance that i become the arbitrator. i become the private judge and i settle those issues for them and its binding so when they leave they are done. they enter their final documents with the local court. other than that, they can't change their mind. it's done. >> cenk: how long does a divorce normally take? >> um, i would say on average and it's varies state by state. but on average six months to a year. if there is someone who is emotional, not ready to be divorced the issues are
4:45 pm
complex, they can drag out longer than that. >> cenk: these divorce hotels, have you ever caught the husband or wife bringing someone else to the hotel. >> one of the rules they can't bring somebody else with them. no kids, no new boyfriends or girlfriends, no one can come along. i would hope that they would behave while they were there on the weekend. >> cenk: do you sometimes have trouble getting the husband in from the golf course to continue to negotiate on the divorce? >> you know, this is actually a brand new concept that i started marketing, so i'm still working on getting some of these weekends together. but i would expect that they're going to want to get this done. even if they take a break and they go to the golf course, they're going to want this done and they'll want their input heard. i don't think expect they'll stay away too long. >> cenk: one last thing as you go through these divorces do you get discouraged about the state of marriage in america? >> um, well the couples that i work with, these are long-term marriages, and a lot of times
4:46 pm
they've just grown apart. there are a lot of different reasons that people get divorced. i think the ones you're talking about are the really short marriages, people rush into it. they change their minds they get out of it. those aren't the people that i'm working with. they don't have a whole lot to fight over, they don't have a lot to divide. >> cenk: are you married? >> not any more. >> cenk: you're divorced, too? did you do it at a hotel or a regular place. >> this is one of the things that i learned two mature rational people can let emotion take over and rationality and fairness goes out the window. it's amazing how the divorce process takes over. >> cenk: daryl wyman, thank you for joining us. interesting conversation. >> thank you. >> cenk: kvr poisoning our
4:47 pm
troops they want us to pay for it. i want to have that conversation. really? you know i'd like to arm our viewers with the ability to argue with their conservative uncle joe over the dinner table. [ voice of dennis ] allstate. with accident forgiveness, they guarantee your rates won't go up just because of an accident. smart kid. [ voice of dennis ] indeed. are you in good hands? hershey's simple pleasures chocolate. 30% less fat, 100% delicious.
4:48 pm
4:49 pm
4:50 pm
. >> cenk: do you remember kvr they were a subsidiary of halliburton during the iraq war dick cheney company. he received $34 million when he left halliburton to become vice president of the united states. i'm sure that did not count in any of the contracts at all. halliburton happened to get $31 billion in work orders from the united states government. well some of it they screwed up including poisoning some of our troops in iraq with chemicals we're going to explain in a second. turns out they got got got endemnity.
4:51 pm
until recently, the veterans exposed to the toxin couldn't know either, nor could the attorneys of the department of justice who were left battling the contract in the dark according to a source there. now finally we did have some justice here at kbr lost the case of $85 million they have to pay. that was the case of some national guard out of oregon. there are more cases pending. they have $15 million in legal fees. the problem is they're going to stick us with the bill. one of the guys they sued said, there were soldiers that actually brought it up and asked what it was. they were told it was a mild irritant at first. then they found out of course that it was not the case. they had this information, and didn't share it, but it was really dangerous, of course, and they said, i'm dying now because
4:52 pm
of it. by the way shortly after that deposition he did die. this is very serious that they did this to our troops. the lead attorney was michael doyle, and he joins us now. michael, this is an unbelievable case in so many ways. first of all, can you explain to us what the toxin was and how did it poison our troops? j. >> sure, it's the same toxin that erin brockavic movie. it's an incredible carcinogen. it was in the wind. it was in the dust. it does nasty things to tissue because it's an acidic-type chemical. >> cenk: what did they say it was, and what was it for and was it worth killing these people? what was so important about it? >> well, the iraqis, and this was actually the second no-bid
4:53 pm
cost plus contract they were able to grab from the government both before the war in this one then they added on this indemnity after. the iraqis had been using this for decades as an anti-corrosive. it does a really good job when you put it in the pipes to clean out everything so they could pump down water to bring up oil. that's what so important about it. >> cenk: oh, so now i get it. it was to get the oil. i didn't know it was that important. then a couple of people die and they happened to be our troops. that's a sad day for us because they don't even wind up paying for it. how did they get this indemnity and doesn't it give them carté blanche whatever they want because who cares the government will pay for it. >> the veterans didn't know about this indemnity. they found out after getting this no-bid contract and
4:54 pm
demanded and got this bill out that no matter who they killed whether its soldiers coalition iraqis anybody, they were going to be able even with willful misconduct, they would dump it on the government. we knew this from testimony. it wasn't part of our trial. as you might expect if you have this chance for a bonus to do something really quick, and it doesn't matter who you do it to, who you poison, who you kill, you can dump it on the tax payers, it might affect how you do business. >> cenk: is there justice in this country? find who authorized that and put them in jail. instead we have to foot the bill and then add insult to injury, it has to be secret. how could they not let the justice department lawyers see the indemnity agreement. that makes no sense. >> it is something until nine years--more than nine years later it was a classified--we
4:55 pm
couldn't see why it wouldn't be something, because it was not top-secret now but it wasn't declassified until a couple of weeks ago. when the army produced it, they stamped it with a classification that we're not allowed to share it outside the suit, even with the department of just to this point. >> cenk: if the justice department were to see what was in the exact indemnity agreement, then al-qaeda would win. that's absurd. how many more cases are there and is there a chance of any real justice on putting the bill on kbr. >> they're saying not only do you have to pay for all that we've done there are actually 150 more veterans, including the families of colonel gentry who has passed, and sergeant david moore who has died, who are still awaiting trial.
4:56 pm
at this point kbr has taken the position you don't just have to pay for whatever we're responsible for, but you got to pay for all our lawyers at where whatever rates we charge. >> cenk: michael doyle, thank you for joining us. we appreciate it. >> thank you so much. >> cenk: we'll be right back. enbrel can help relieve pain, stiffness, (vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. (vo) she's joy behar. >>current will let me say anything.
4:57 pm
4:58 pm
[ ryon ] eating shrimp at red lobster is a fantastic experience. 30 shrimp for $11.99. i can't imagine anything better. you're getting a ton of shrimp and it tastes really good! [ male announcer ] hurry in to red lobster's 30 shrimp for just $11.99! choose any two of five savory shrimp selections like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. two delicious shrimp selections on one plate! all with salad and unlimited cheddar bay biscuits. 30 shrimp, just $11.99 for a limited time. wow, that's a lot of shrimp. i'm ryon stewart i'm the ultimate shrimp lover, and i sea food differently.
4:59 pm

tv
The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur
Current January 9, 2013 4:00pm-5:00pm PST

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Biden 5, Australia 5, Halliburton 4, Vo 3, Alaska 3, Mitch Mcconnell 3, Michael Doyle 2, Dennis 2, Salazar 2, Mexico 2, Colin Goddard 2, New York 2, Obama Administration 2, Brown 2, Joe Biden 2, Ross 2, Hoss 1, Etc. 1, Virginia 1, Anchorage Alaska 1
Network Current
Duration 01:00:00
Rating PG
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 528
Pixel height 480
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 1/10/2013
Views
85